The Toronto Botanical Garden is located at the Southwest corner of Lawrence and Leslie, adjacent to Edwards gardens with a shared history. Both sites were originally developed in 1817 by Alexander Milne as a family estate and mill business. Over the years different owners made improvements but by 1944 the property was overgrown and derelict. Rupert Edwards saw beauty in the land and bought it to create a country getaway from the city. He developed beautiful gardens, a golf course and a sanctuary for wildlife. As the city grew up around his oasis he decided to sell to Toronto so that the land could be maintained as a park, opened to the public in 1956.
The Toronto Botanical Garden is more than just a walk in the park. It is a gardening education and information centre featuring 17 themed gardens as well as indoor and outdoor learning sites. Run by volunteers, the TBG is dedicated to connecting people and plants and the teaching of horticultural information.