MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Friday, April 20

FROM THE CLOSET OF JULIANN WILDING : ALAN CHERRY BLOUSE


When I discovered this silk beaded blouse in a neighborhood thrift shop, it was a real diamond in the rough.   At that time it was a sallow pale yellow, a shade which I would never wear. But between the gorgeous draped cape overlay, the crunchy beaded shoulders, and lovely subtle details in the design I knew it was special and I knew I could work with it.

Upon reading the tag I was even more enamored: Alan Cherry Toronto. It also has the date, 1987, and credits 'artwork design Mercedes & Adrienne Co.'  I loved finding a true piece of Toronto vintage, and it seems Cherry was a retail legend and a fashion staple in Yorkville until his retirement at the age of 73. 

I took the blouse, determined,  and hand-dyed it a shade I concocted: neutral pink-beige. It took beautifully; the blouse was transformed. Formerly Rosedale grandma going to tea, now David Bowie having a chill drink. I hope Alan Cherry would be proud. 


-JW

No comments:

Post a Comment