MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Sunday, February 5

BY AUNT LORNA


Lorna Lorenz (1918-2010) was born with the innate impulse to make.  Living in a lovely home, nestled among the cedars on the bank of the Saugeen river, she boldly experimented, and created an expansive repertoire of objects throughout her lifetime.  Landscape paintings, hooked rugs, paper mache characters, stuffed animals, painted ostrich eggs and this plastic cat were some of her specialities.  As a collector, avid rummager, and fearless originator, I believe Lorna influenced Heather, her grandniece, greatly.

I moved into an apartment just over a year ago and was unable to bring with me, Oliver, my cat.  Heather gave me Lorna's plastic cat as a replacement.  Visually, from afar, the presence of a cat is uncanny.  However, his inanimate nature clearly renders him object. A sufficient substitute for enduring a heartbreaking separation.  I do love him.


No comments:

Post a Comment