MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Monday, October 29

HOW TO : CUT DOWN A SHIRT


When time permits, I like to make shirts for myself.  There is something relaxing about knowing that the fit of each garment is identical.  Shirting fabric starts at ten dollars a yard and with the added cost of buttons and the hassle of button holes, I find it more cost effective and fun to make shirts from second hand menswear.  For some reason womenswear is made from inferior fabric so I steer clear.




Look for large shirts from quality brands.  Often the cuffs and collars wear out first but if the remaining fabric is good you should have enough to make a full shirt.  I've been using the same newspaper pattern for many years, taken from a shirt that I liked the cut of.  You could also use a commercial pattern.





When cutting out the front, keep the buttons and buttonholes from the original shirt.  The worst part of homemade clothing tends to be the shoddy buttonholes made on domestic machines - this will save you the embarrassment! You can also save the placket on the sleeve - you just saved yourself 10 minutes!



Sometimes I'll reuse the cuffs if they aren't worn out, leaving only the collar button hole to deal with.



There usually isn't enough fabric to make two yokes so you can cut the inside yoke from a coordinating fabric.  And presto!  3 new shirts for under $10;  I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy Sunday.



No comments:

Post a Comment