MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Sunday, December 30

BESSARABIAN KILIM PILLOWS


I was first introduced to Bessarabian weaving by an elegant German man in Berlin.  His rugs were beyond my means but he explained to me the unique style of these carpets:  a meeting of east and west. Bessarabia was a region comprising parts of current day Moldova, Romania and Ukraine.  This area took the flat weaving technique from Asia and the baroque floral patterns from Western Europe, with beautiful results.  After dreaming of the carpets in Germany for many years, I came across these pillows made from reclaimed rugs at a reasonable price. I love that the brown field is made from undyed dark sheep wool, evident from the variety in tone.  You can watch a video here of a woman weaving a kilim, a practice that I hope will be in my future.






No comments:

Post a Comment