MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Monday, January 23

TO THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE WORKING CLASSES

To a cleaner, simpler life.

I've been without shampoo for approximately 6 months. My scalp had always been problematic; Head and Shoulders became the only product I could use that provided relief.  Suspecting the use of shampoo as the problem, not my scalp, I decided to eliminate such harsh and unnecessary chemicals from my bathing ritual. With some research, patience (there is a bit of a transition period where the oils re-adjust), and pulling inspiration from Ruth Goodman of Victorian Farm I've converted to using this basic recipe : 

Combine 1 cup warm water with 1-2 tablespoons baking soda.  
Combine 1 cup warm water with 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of essential oil (cedarwood has been my winter scent of choice)

Apply baking soda mix to wet hair, rub into scalp and through hair, let sit for a few minutes, then rinse. Repeat these actions with the apple cider vinegar rinse.

Here is some more information about going shampoo free.

Below are excerpts from Mrs. Antonette Matteson's self published guide to better health, The Occult Family Physician and Botanic Guide to Health. The images are taken from a reprint, but the original was published in 1894.   An interesting look into the Victorian's relationship with their hygiene. The dedication is wonderful and still very relevant today.

2 comments:

  1. How long was this transition period?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important to wean yourself off of shampooing from everyday to every other day, then 3 days or more (if you can). I could go 5 days - washing once a week. Once I made the switch to the baking soda, apple cider vinegar solution it worked immediately. I now wash my hair every 3 -4 days.

    ReplyDelete