MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Friday, March 8

FROM THE CLOSET OF JULIANN WILDING : BLACK LEATHER PANTS


I had been searching for the right vintage leather pants for quite some time. Not one for empty conjecture, my vast experience in the stalls of thrift stores had lent the perfect formula to my mind's eye and I simply wouldn't settle for anything else.

It was a terrifically rainy day. I got caught in the downpour somewhere in the middle of my thrift route and I couldn't turn back, I was on a roll. I was completely drenched, biking through traffic to the edge of town. My shoes were water logged by the time I reached my destination. But I felt the heat leading me on. For what ? Who could know...

The formula is something like this: high tight waist,  well fitted in the rear and upper thighs into long tapered leg that is quite narrow by the time it gets to the knee and continues  to gently fit the ankle. They should be quality lambskin leather, black and supple obviously. Nothing too thick as it won't give, and if the leather is low quality or worn out it will stretch and bag. So you see, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Usually one is only confronted with 1990s cast-offs from Danier, likely with a low waist and flared leg. Forget it. Or you might find something characteristically 1980s with extreme pleats or some other garish addition. But this rainy day I was immediately rewarded with what I had waited so patiently for. The first item I pulled to examine, a sublime combination of the aforementioned qualities - and! - they fit like a sheath. Made in Turkey, they are CHOICE by Klaus Steilmann, a German fashion company.

The rain was through by the time I tried them on to confirm my heart's leap, procured them, and cycled off into the sunset.

-JW







No comments:

Post a Comment