MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Friday, March 1

BYZANTINE REVIVAL



When I was 13, the November '88 issue of American Vogue was my style bible.  Yes, it was 1990 and the magazine was a discard from the library, but the byzantine velvet got me excited enough to abandon floral turtlenecks and scrunchies for medieval garments reclaimed from the costume box of childhood.  The image of  Micaela Bercu in an encrusted Christian Lacroix jacket was seared into my memory and it is little wonder that this was from the first issue by iconic editor Anna Wintour.  I had this cover in mind when I recently bought a gorgeous piece of black silk velvet.  With an eye to the vatican, we shall see what comes of it.










No comments:

Post a Comment