MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Monday, June 18

4-H


As a youth I was a member of the 4-H club: an organization for ages 9-21 which fosters personal growth, encourages balanced living, and mentors leadership skills while honouring community, social relationships and the environment.  Learn to do by doing, the official motto and the 4-H philosophy must have influenced this Warden in my early years.  Originally agriculturally focused, the 4- H club allows its members to choose projects which follow their interests, for example, raising a cow, or producing a potato crop from start to finish. I loved ranking the quality of the crops and livestock during judging competitions, hoping to win the silver plate (awarded to one most knowledgeable in what makes for a superior specimen).  The organizations history is a good read, and I am pleased to discover that 4-H is still alive and well with a mission and vision relatively unchanged since its Canadian establishment in 1913.

4-H refers to our heads, hearts, hands, and health in their pledge, said at the beginning of each meeting and event -

I pledge my head to clearer thinking
My heart to greater loyalty
My hands to larger service and
My health to better living
For my club, my community, and my country










No comments:

Post a Comment