MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Sunday, April 13

EXPERIENCE AND YOUTH


I found these two gentlemen in a ragged folio at a community market circling a midcentury apartment block in the northwest of Paris.  I was pretty excited by the quality of the drawing and an older gentleman hovering around, anxious to see what I left behind, seemed to agree.  There were about 10 portraits in among architectural studies and watercolour landscapes and I liked these two best.  

I've christened the mustached man as "Experience": His eyes are knowing, his wiry arm is bent in a protective position, he knows what the world has in store.  The lad with the roman cut is "Youth": he has no idea what's coming, he's open to anything and is ready to prove himself.  I've decided that they are studies for a mural painted in some Parisian church around 1900.  The dealer could offer no providence but the paper is watermarked "Ingres 1870" and "Experience" bears a striking resemblance to John MacNeill Whistler......







No comments:

Post a Comment