MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Thursday, February 20

DESIGN MUSEUM DANMARK


I'm looking forward to my return to Denmark where I'll be spending 2 months in Skælskor at the Guldagergaard International Ceramic Research Centre.  I've been going through a back-log of photos from our previous trip (because it's too damn cold in Toronto right now to galavant around the city!) and I'm taken aback by what I shot and didn't post, specifically the Design Museum of Danmark.  

I remember walking out of the museum and remarking to Afie, "phhff, that museum kind of sucked" .....Um.....what?! Looking back, this place is totally amazing!  At the time I thought it was overcrowded and since most interiors in Denmark are decorated in classic Danish designs, I felt a bit underwhelmed by the collection.  As a mono-culture, Danes fully embrace their aesthetic and it is evident in many private homes, pubic institutions, hotels, restaurants, etc.  Quite remarkably you can see Danish design in use everywhere, not just on plinths and behind glass.  My eyes were totally spoiled with everyday beauty and simplicity.  

The volume of examples, however, and accompanying sketches, images, influences and video at the Design Museum really flushes out the extraordinary material art and design legacy this country has produced.  A must see for design nerds and those interested in Scandinavian aesthetics.




























No comments:

Post a Comment